Thursday, March 6, 2014

Five 4 Friday; March 7

Linking back up with Doodle Bugs Teaching  for their Five 4 Friday!

Let the Space Unit begin!!  This week we have started to create some of our many space related projects that will line our hallways and adorn our classrooms for the ever important open house that is just around the corner.

1.  Circle Painting
to create a fun background for our robot project and add in some free art experience, we created a collage of painted circles.  The kiddos were given various circles to choose from with white and yellow paint on black paper.  The effect turned out great and the kids had a blast making them.

  Science journals: You guessed it!  Space!  As we discover the elements of space through read aloud and discussions the excitement and interest continues to grow.  Taking full advantage of the interest level, I asked them to journal about space by drawing what they knew.  We had discussion about what things would look like in space, what things they would see, etc.  Here are a few of their entries.




3.  Robots:  What's a space theme without robots?!  We decided to use geometric shapes to let the kiddos create robots.  We used their circle paintings as a background.  The contrast really sets off their robots and makes for a nice looking piece of art.


4. Liebstar what?! Me?!  I am so excited to announce that I have been nominated for the Liebstar award!  Yippee!  I'm working on my post to formally accept, but wanted to share!  Thanks for believing in me!

Mommy Time:  Today I get to volunteer today at a pizza shop to help my kiddo celebrate and prepare for the upcoming STAAR writing assessment.  The school has set up a "cafe" experience where the kids get to place their orders and my job is to play the "Amelia Bedilia" type waitress.  It is an exercise that gets them to use descriptive and specific wording to express their thoughts.  It's genius really!  I am excited to be a part of this memorable learning experience for my baby girl!

And that's the News, Views & Stews of my week!  TGIF!


                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment